Our Mission Statement

Tuesday, June 11

Country Roads, Take Me Home...

...To the place I belong.

Interestingly enough, we heard this song twice on the bus on the way up and down the mountain. I think it is a sign that we definitely belong here. I, for one, am so glad to be at my home away from home in Central America. I've had this surreal feeling all day while we have been traveling, and finally it's hit me that we're actually here! Coming up the winding roads as we were climbing the mountain and beholding the beauty of God's handiwork...it's not something I can describe in words. You just have to experience it for yourself *hint hint*. 

Before I keep rambling on, let me introduce myself, my name is Inigo Montoya...JUST KIDDING! My name is Leah Wright and I am now a senior at Freed-Hardeman University (YIPPEE!!).  This is my 5th trip with TORCH and I will be your blogger for quite some time, so you best get used to hearing from me. I have had a passion for mission work ever since Terry took me on my first trip to Honduras. My goal in doing this blog is to give you all a taste of what life is like here and the work we are doing. While it's impossible for me to tell you everything that happens, I hope that I tell you enough to entice you to come with us in the future.

We have a wonderful group that has come in today and I am so excited to meet and work with every one of them. All the groups have arrived safely at the Hotel Aires Del Sur in Buenos Aires, Costa Rica today. The few coming by bus from Panama City arrived around lunch time at the hotel and were able to fit in a nap this afternoon. The first arrivals at the airport began about 11:30 this morning, and our last got in about 2:30 this afternoon. We were greeted at the airport by Terry, along with two of our translators for our trip: Diego Rojas, and Hannah Phillips. We were able to leave the airport in San Jose by 3:15, stopped for supper on the mountain, and made it to the Hotel by 9. Our supper tonight was everyone's first taste of Costa Rican cuisine, from pupusas, plantains, rice and beans. I didn't hear any complaints so I think everyone enjoyed what they got. The group was pleased to hear some familiar country music favorites on the bus...everything from John Denver to Johnny Cash to Shania Twain. While it was not expected, for the majority of us from Music City it was a piece of home traveling with us. We are all thankful to have had such a smooth traveling day. God has already begun to bless us, and I know He has much more in store for us as the trip progresses.

Our brother in Christ, Daniel Chaves, the preacher at the church here, has a full day planned for us tomorrow. We're beginning bright and early at 7 AM with breakfast provided by the beautiful ladies at the church. Then a devotional will follow and an assortment of evangelistic duties which I don't have a lot of details on. Just know that we'll be very busy but are ready to begin our work here!


Emergency Contact:
In case of emergency, please contact the nearest authorities. 
Okay, time to get serious.
If you need to contact someone on the trip, the telephone number for the hotel we are staying at in Buenos Aires is: 506-2730-5051
That is the only contact info I have for the moment, and if I get anything else I will be sure to let you all know. If you need something, but it's not an absolute emergency, you are welcome to email me at smartie201014@yahoo.com. I will be checking my email each night as I do the blog so I can get a message to anyone you need.

Please keep our work here in Buenos Aires in your prayers. We have a small group this year, but so much can be done with the determination and love of Christ we all have. One person can make a difference, and stay tuned to see the difference we are trying to make here in the beautiful country of Costa Rica. 

"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations..."
Matthew 24:14

Dios te bendiga,

Leah 




No comments: