Our Mission Statement

Wednesday, July 2

Where Did You See Jesus

We had another AMAZING day today. I’m not sure about others, but I had a hard time waking up this morning. I am not a coffee drinker, but this morning was a “coffee morning.” For breakfast we had pancakes, and fruit (and for some of us like 20 cups of coffee). After breakfast some of us helped wash dishes until it was time for devo. Brian Henegar led us in our thoughts today. He spoke about how we need to be revived. It isn’t something we make or create, it is something that God does in us. It was a wonderful way to start off morning. Once devo was over Terry divided the groups. We had a construction group, a visitation group, and a painting group and then everyone met up to go to the Blind School. I hope all of you back home are enjoying reading everyone’s stories.

Casitas Kennedy

Today after devo Terry sent each bus to the grocery store Mas o Menos to get ready for a “Gatorade Blitz.” We went in and bought every Gatorade we could possibly find in the store. After we bought as much as we could get we loaded up the bus and went all over Tegucigalpa delivering the Gatorade to the city street cleaners. It was an unexplainable experience, something I have never done. It was very neat to reach out to these people and see the looks on their face as we gave them Gatorade. Some looked a little frightened and others confused, but all were grateful for the small gift we could give them. After we were finished with that we drove to Casitas Kennedy, an orphanage for street children. When we got there Erin and I went to see the babies. There was a baby we saw that was about 3 months old that was so little the bed they had for here was a car seat full of blankets. She only took up about half of the car seat. Since they were short on diapers, we went out and bought 21 packs of diapers. Afterward we went out to the court yard and all the kids ran out. There was one little boy that, I believe, received hugs from everyone. We gave the children shoulder rides, hugs and love they miss out on so much. When the younger teenage girls came out it took them a little while to open up to us. We eventually set up a small beauty shop for them and fixed their hair and nails and put some make-up on them. Then a lady asked some of us if we would sing some songs and requested “I’m in the Lord’s Army” by doing hand motions. She also knew some of the words to the other songs we sang. After spending some time there we loaded up and went to the Blind School. At the Blind School I went to sit with Christian and Edison to listen to them sing. The Blind school is my absolute most favorite thing to do. We sat with them for about 45 minutes before we got to do some moving around. I also played with and little boy, Edward, while he played with his horse. After we were there for a while we came back up to the mission house for dinner.

-Emily Seward (Memphis, TN)

Warehouse

I fell like today was a really good day. The team I was on accomplished 3 tasks:” handing our Gatorade to street workers, painting La Bodega, and visit with the students of the Blind School, which has become one of my favorite activities here in Honduras.

I was impressed by so many people today, both on my team and students at the school. Painting can be tedious work, but the members of La Bodega team didn’t complain one time! The guys were fantastic! I have never met a group of guys that enjoy one another so much. The boys from Harding Academy entertained us with jokes, human “beat boxing,” and freestyle rapping the whole afternoon. They defiantly made painting fun and memorable!

Visiting the Blind School was such a blessing to me today. The Children are always so kind and receiving to us when we drop by. The students always remind me of how important and valuable our senses are. They may not be able to see, but the sound of their sweet songs and the feeling of their small hands resting upon your arm makes up for their lack of sight. They teach us that you don’t have to know someone or even be able to see someone in order to bless and love others. The students remind me that there are ways to communicate beyond our senses and that everyone needs to be touched and through that touch, live is felt.

-Rachael Polk (Nashville, TN)

Construction

I woke up this morning with a hankering for construction! This was my first time to build a house and I was very excited for a new opportunity. The funds for this house were donated by the Clarksville Christian School, which is affiliated with my congregation, so many from my group got to go and personally deliver the gift of a home! And boy was it rewarding!

The family of five was so wonderful! The father helped the whole day, and I played with his young daughters at every opportunity available. I LOVED working on the house where I put the floor in and nailed the roof down. I was most blessed though by the opportunity to get to know the girls that were going to live there. I ate lunch with them and braided their hair, and got to know them. At one point, Ibania said that she was “tan emocionada” which means that she’s “so excited!” It was just amazing to be able to do that for her and her family.

After completing the house (in the pouring rain) and making new friends, it was time to go to the blind school! I met a girl named Daniella last year, and she remembered me this year! That really amazed me because without the ability to see, she remembered my voice and touch and that is just incredible. We sat and caught up on the year and she told me the new English words she’d learned and she taught me “Este Es el Dia” (the song “This is the Day”). God is so good to give us the opportunity to have relationships with people like Ibiana and her family and Daniella. Today was such a blessing!

-Sara Tucker (Clarksville, TN)

When everyone returned to the mission house we had dinner. Tonight was my favorite meal we have in Honduras!! We had beans, rice, beef tips, chips and tortillas!!!!! This is something I have been waiting to eat for two years. Yes, I could make it back home, but it is no where near as delicious as it is hear. The cooks that work here do an incredible job keeping us gringos fed!!!!

After dinner we had devo. Andy Polk from Nashville led us in our thoughts tonight. I think Andy did an excellent job. He talked about how we have let the name “Christian” become more of an adjective rather than what we are. Yes, the term Christian does describe us, but it is way more than that. It is our life; it is something we must be. I believe a lot of times we forget that and we just let the term describe us rather live it. I am also sorry for those of you back home who watch the devotional thoughts. Mark Connell wasn’t with us tonight and he is the one doing the live broadcast. I believe he will be back tomorrow night. Please feel free to watch and join with us as we worship.

After worship we had “Where did you see Jesus?” As usual, Jesus was seen everywhere today. Jesus was seen in the construction crew today while they were working through the rain. Yes, it does rain here, and when it does the temperature drops. These guys, and girls worked hard through the rain. They were tired, wet and very cold. Jesus was also seen in the crew that went to the Bodega to work. Working in the warehouse can be very tedious work. Today was no different, however this group did not complained and worked the whole time. The best part about it was they had a blast doing so. Jesus was seen at the Blind School every where. The Blind School is such an AMAZING experience. I have come to Honduras seven times, my heart is broken every time I enter the Blind School. These children, and adults are beautiful people with the most Amazing voices. I absolutely love this place. I could continue with where Jesus was seen, but it would probably take you all a couple years to read.

You guys back home are incredible. Your prayers are much appreciated. Please continue to pray for God’s work here. We love you all and miss you.

Brandy B

No comments: